The Project Activities that we are involved in include:-
- Training of project staff and farmers on bamboo cultivation and farm management skills.
- Assessing marketing dynamics as a feedback to investment in the bamboo industry in Kenya.
- Participation in international bamboo production and tobacco control conferences
- Acquisition of relevant literature on bamboo and tobacco
- Continuous/quarterly monitoring of bamboo growth performance in 120 field experimentation sites
- Dissemination of project outputs through publications, reports, meetings/ events/ workshops
- Developing community action plans to ensure a reduction of tobacco production in the region through livelihood diversification/ poverty alleviation strategies.
- Assessment of existing and potential market opportunities for bamboo products.
- Writing and publishing papers based on the project's results.
- Preparing and publishing policy briefs
- Formation of bamboo farmers co-operatives
- Capacity building of farmers through trainings and workshops
- Farmers’ visit to already established co-operatives to be exposed to various operations e.g. Akamba Handcraft Co-operative Society Limited in Changamwe, Mombasa
- Marketing of bamboo seedlings, poles and products for the co-operatives
Prof Kibwage and Prof Netondo acknowledging the farmers skills Prof Netondo,Dr Fu and Wardie(in jeans)during monitoring in Kuria
Hon.Wilfred Machage on a training workshop in Kuria Migori Bamboo farmers attending to their nursery
Prof Kibwage on propagation workshop in Kuria Prof Kibwage on propagation workshop in Migori